Welcome to the Year 2 class page! In Year 2 we believe “Happy children learn better” and therefore we strive to create a positive learning environment where our children are curious, creative and explorative enabling them to develop a love of learning. On our page we have tried to include important information about what we are currently learning and any extra-curricular visits and events that we have coming up this half term. We hope you find our class page useful!
Our Spring 2 learning
- English - Non-chronological reports (Fire)/ Newspaper Reports (The Great Fire of London)/ Narrative (Vlad and the Great Fire of London)
- Maths - Fractions, Shape and Measurement(Length and Height)
- Science - Squash, Squeeze, Bend and Twist.
- History- The Great Fire of London
- RE - Salvation ‘Why does Easter Matter?’-Digging Deeper
- Music - Zootime
- Art – Sparks and Flames
- DT- Making Fire Engines
- Computing - Algorithms
- PE – Net and Wall Games (Simply Sport)
Alongside the weekly spellings that the children receive in their spelling books it is important that they also learn to easily read and spell the first 100 High Frequency Words (the words that are regularly used). These are divided into 4 groups according to the phase of Letters and Sounds that your child is working on. There is a further 200 High Frequency Words following these 4 groups.
In addition there are lists of words that the children need to learn that do not follow the spelling “rules”. These are referred to as key stage one Common Exception Words.
- Homework (Maths, English and Spelling) collected and returned on Monday’s.
- Our spelling test is every Friday.
- Our P.E. days are Wednesday and Friday.
- Children can change their reading book every day.
- Click these links for some useful videos, animations and games linked to our current History Topic ‘The Great Fire of London’
Magic Grandad- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VarSSAwiimU
Great fire of Gateshead and Newcastle- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djYc7EudvXg
- Click these links for some useful games and activities to help improve your reading, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Click these links for some useful games and activities to help improve your Mental Maths skills.
Mathsbot Manipulatives- https://mathsbot.com/#Manipulatives
Corbett Maths- https://corbettmathsprimary.com/
Khanacademy - https://www.khanacademy.org/math
- Click these links for some useful games and activities to cover a range of subjects.
- Click on this link to access Maths lessons you can do at home with White Rose Maths. Just click on the Y2 link on the website. These are updated daily during the period of school closure.
- Click this link for some useful videos to keep fit and active during the school closure.
- See below for an Easter/Spring activity grid we have put together that might help over the next two weeks during the Easter holidays.